What do termites look like?
The appearance of Eastern subterranean termites (Family Rhinotermitidae) varies depending on which caste they belong to.
- Termite workers have soft, cream-colored bodies, that are about ¼-inch or less in length. They do not have wings.
- Termite soldiers are similar to workers in both appearance and size. They have rectangular-shaped heads that are darker and more brownish in color and they’re also equipped with large strong jaws. Interestingly enough, termite soldiers are blind.
- Reproductives, which include the king, queen, and alates (termite swarmers), are dark brown and have translucent wings that are twice the length of their bodies. They are often mistaken for flying ants.
When are Termites most active?
Are termites dangerous?
Eastern subterranean termites do not bite, sting, or transmit diseases. However, they can cause significant structural damage to homes and buildings if left untreated. In fact, they can compromise the integrity of a building, which can result in costly repairs.
How can I tell if I have a termite problem?
A subterranean termite infestation is not always noticeable until these wood-destroying pests have already infiltrated the house or structure. Termite damage does not occur overnight but rather over time. If you have soft wood that sounds hollow when tapped, blistering or darkening wood, bubbling paint, warped doors and windows that are swollen and not easily closed, you may have a termite problem. Other signs of a termite infestation include:
- Mud tubes that extend out of the ground and onto a structure
- Termite swarms that occur inside or outside
- Discarded wings near doors or on windowsills
What attracts termites?
Eastern subterranean termites are attracted to wood and other cellulose-based materials. They are also attracted to moisture and specifically wood that has been damaged by water. Leaky pipes, clogged gutters, and damp crawl spaces can all provide the moisture that termites need to thrive.
How do I get rid of termites?
For effective termite control services that eliminate existing termite colonies and prevent new colonies from establishing, contact a licensed pest control company. At Getem Services, we’ve been exterminating these wood-destroying insects since 1922 and use Termidor®, America’s #1 termite defense product, to get rid of termites for good!
How can I prevent a termite infestation?
There are several steps you can take to prevent an eastern subterranean termite infestation including:
- Fixing moisture problems in your crawl space and in other parts of your home
- Make sure gutters and downspouts are in proper working order and do not allow water to accumulate at the foundation
- Do not allow any wood to soil contact including deck posts
- Seal or caulk all gaps, cracks, and openings on the exterior
- Store firewood well away from the side of the house
- Limit the use of wood mulch near your home and across your property
- Contact a termite exterminator if you see a termite swarm inside or outdoors or if you have noticed other signs of termite activity
Get Help Now!